1. Read: Discussion Background
Patient confidentiality is essential to delivering effective patient treatment. HIPAA laws and healthcare provider-specific polices are in place to protect patient confidentiality. However, breaches can and do occur.
For this discussion, use the HIPAA Journal website to research common or recent HIPAA violations that have jeopardized patient confidentiality. Use the information you learn to help you answer the discussion prompts.
2. Initial Post: Create a new thread and answer all three parts of the initial prompt below
Introduce yourself to your instructor and classmates. Be sure to include the following:
- Explain in your own words why patient confidentiality is important in healthcare.
- Reflect on your research. Share one example of a breach in patient confidentiality.
- Describe the steps you would take to prevent the breach you described above.