3-2 Discussion: Outputs Are Only as Good as Inputs
In this module, you will explore the concept of algorithms in big data.
For your initial post, review the video The Era of Blind Faith in Big Data Must End and address the following:
- What did you find most interesting about the video?
- Why is it important to maximize the degree to which samples and data used to train or build algorithms are representative of the population?
- How can human bias influence data used to test hypotheses?
How does the potential for human influences on data selection and interpretation relate to one of the programmatic themes below? You may want to review the Programmatic Themesdocument.
- Social justice
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Post an article, video, or visual to reinforce a peer’s idea or challenge them to see their point from a different perspective.
- Engage in conversation with your peers around the concept of the limits of inferential test results based on the human influences on the data quality and the data interpretation. Consider asking a question or sharing your own personal experience.