Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Modules 11.3, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 13.1, and 13.3 of Kalat (2019).
- Read Rooted in Our Biology: Psychoneuroimmunology and the Frontiers of Mind-Body Medicine (Links to an external site.).
- Read Mental Health Is the Health of the Whole Body: How Psychoneuroimmunology and Health Psychology Can Inform and Improve Treatment (Links to an external site.).
- View Burke Harris’s (2014) How Childhood Trauma Affects Health across a Lifetime (Links to an external site.).
- Review Figure 1: Potential Mechanisms Linking Childhood Trauma and Inflammation (p. 102) of
- Review Table 1: Selected Effects of Early Life Adversity (ELA) on Physiological Functioning (p. 4), from .
- Review Figure 1: Conceptual Model of the Biological Embedding of Early Psychosocial Adversity (p. 5) from .
- You may also want to review Chapter 4 of Kalat (2019) and this week’s recommended readings.
In this discussion, you will be evaluating an existing program designed to support health or learning outcomes. In your evaluation,
- Provide a description of the program and the population it serves.
- For examples of different types of programs, you may want to review the community outreach programs in the recommended resources. Note that these are examples—select a program that is relevant to your interests.
- Consider reaching out to schools, hospitals, faith centers, non-profit organizations, or community leaders to identify local initiatives that aim to improve the education or health outcomes of community members, including children, families, vulnerable populations, and veterans.
- Identify how biopsychological concepts support or contradict the program’s intent or implementation.
- Your initial posting should include a specific discussion of brain structures and functions related to cognition, learning, or wellbeing, including information on nervous system pathways and environmental factors that impact brain health and function.
- Recommend additional strategies to support the program’s goals using concepts from this week’s reading and the peer-reviewed research.
- Consider ethical implications of recommendations.
You must use a minimum of one peer-reviewed or scholarly source that was published within the last five years, and documented in APA Style. Your post should be a minimum of 500 words. You may cite and reference your textbook, required or recommended reading, or multimedia, but these will not fulfill the source requirement
Textbook: Kalat, J. W. (2019). Biological psychology (13th ed.). Cengage Learning.