For the purposes of this assignment, assume your intended audience is a school review board made up of teachers, parents, and community members. The review board has requested each teacher’s portfolio which should also include a personal philosophy statement. Your portfolio will be completed later.
Remember, your statement should be short – ideally no more than a one-page, single-spaced document which encapsulates your personal teaching beliefs and instructional practices.
Your personal statement should answer the following questions:
- Why is education your field of choice?
- How will you demonstrate instructional leadership in your position?
- What are your values, beliefs, and aspirations as a teacher?
- How have you grown as an educator over the last school year?
- How do you ensure that you will treat students as individuals and inspire them to pursue their interests, differences, and preferences?
Personal statements may answer the following questions:
- What do you bring to the classroom that is unique?
- How do you approach each day in the classroom?
- How do you bring out the best in each student?
- What goals have you established and/or achieved with your students?
Once you have completed the assignment, save a copy in MS Word format (.doc or .docx) and use the tool below to upload a copy of your work.