Turn in a two to three page paper that addresses the following topics. Be sure to answer in your own words!
1. (Rev 2/11) Describe, in a qualitative way, what Maxwell’s Equations mean. Relate your discussion to the following simulation of an electromagnetic wave (See Background Information).
Fendt, W. (1999). Electromagnetic wave (demonstration). Retrieved on March 1, 2008, from http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/emwave.htm
2. (Rev 2/11) A hundred years before Einstein, Maxwell’s Equations provided good evidence that the speed of light should be a constant with respect to all observers. How?
3. Explain how you could find the frequency of an electromagnetic wave if you know the wavelength and the velocity of the electromagnetic wave.
Case Assignment Expectations:
In general, Cases are expected to possess the attributes of precision, clarity, breadth, depth, and critical thinking. Not all of these are relevant to the answer to every problem in the case. When it is relevant, the evidence for each attribute is as follows.
- Precision: Numerical answers are calculated correctly, to the correct number of significant figures.
- Clarity: The problem is restated in its simplest form. Relevant variables are identified. Formulas are algebraically rearranged, as necessary. All the mathematical steps are shown, in logical order.
- Breadth: Where discussion is required, the question is placed in context. Alternatives are considered.
- Depth: Where discussion is required, the question is examined in detail. No relevant aspect of the question is omitted.
- Critical thinking: The correct analytical approach is selected. Relevant data areidentified and irrelevant data are ignored. When required, the practical importance of the principle or phenomenon is accurately described.