Capstone Project for EDU 660
Throughout this course we have focused on the sequential history of IDEIA from its beginnings as the Education for all Handicapped Children act through amendments, reauthorization and its current form. Court cases covered in this class have contributed to the refinement of this process. Also, Presidents have, through Executive Action, impacted the process of how these policies have been and continue to be implemented.
For your Capstone Project assignment you will provide a comprehensive review of the progression of special education in light of these congressional statues, court cases and Presidential actions. Your review must address how special education has evolved and improved throughout this process.
You must include discussions of the following:
· Supreme Court Decision Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka (May 17, 1954)
· The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) (April 9, 1965)
· Pennsylvania Association of Retarded Children (PARC) v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (October 8, 1971)
· Mills v. Board of Education of the District of Columbia (December 17, 1971)
· Congressional Investigation of 1972
· Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
· Mattie T. et al v. Johnson (1975) This is a Mississippi Specific Case
· Education of All Handicapped Children Act otherwise known as Public Law 94-142 (November 29, 1975)
· Public Law 99-457, Amendment to All Handicapped Children Act (October 8, 1976)
· Handicapped Children’s Protection Act (August 6, 1986)
· Public Law 101-476, modification of PL 94-142 (January 1, 1990)
· Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (June 4, 1997)
· Congressional amendments to IDEA (December 3, 2004)
· No Child Left Behind or Every Student Succeeds Act (2015)
· American’s with Disabilities Act
In your Capstone document, you need to describe the role each of these played in the shaping of improved services for children with disabilities. Explain how knowledge of these court cases and acts can enhance your ability to provide services for and meet the needs of students with disabilities. Also, address how your research through these event has improved your ability to understand what best practices skills you can develop in response to these changes.
Important note: There is no page number limit of this Capstone project. However, you must understand that this is a comprehensive project that requires work presented at a graduate level of performance. It will be many pages. You will use APA style for this project.
You need to use the following headings: Role of cases in shaping and improving services; Personal abilities enhanced in service provision; Best Skills and Practices developed in response to these changes. Refer to the Rubric for this project and make sure you meet all expectations indicated.