To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Reflect on the interplay between career issues and mental health or personal issues (e.g., the career-related challenges that individuals with mental or substance-related disorders may encounter, how career issues may affect personal issues, etc.).
- Consider the similarities and differences between clients who have an identified mental health or substance-related concern and those who may be seeking vocational counseling without recognizing that there also may be a mental health or substance-related concern (compare information in Chapter 14 and Chapter 18)
- Reflect on the role of the professional working in a mental health, private practice setting, or other setting for providing appropriate treatment that addresses clients’ mental health and substance-related concerns as well as their career needs.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 three or more examples of multiple needs that clients may have with regard to mental health or substance-related issues/concerns and career development and explain the interplay between the two. Then describe some of the specific challenges that you as a counselor may encounter in working with such clients and explain how you might address them.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
- Course Text: Career Counseling
- Chapter 14, “Career Counseling in Mental Health and Private Practice Settings”
- Chapter 18, “Career Counseling and Lifestyle Planning for Clients with Addictive Behaviors”