Description of RA:
In this assignment, you will analyze a case study including pertinent assessment, diagnosis, and intervention for the individual. This assessment includes a focus on the patient and family’s cultural beliefs and values that impact nursing care. In addition, the case study given below incorporates intra- and interprofessional collaboration to provide quality care.
Incorporating cultural care is an essential function for nurses. It is incumbent upon nurses to learn general information about the patient’s culture and then seek salient information from each patient and their family in order to provide patient and family-centered care. Additionally, it is critical that nurses not only thoroughly assess the patient but also provide appropriate referrals based on an understanding of the role of other health care professionals.
- Read the following case study and answer the questions posed. Please note that while an ethnicity is identified, you may choose a different ethnicity that is either of interest to you or one that you see in your work environment.
- Prepare a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that incorporates an introduction as well as a summary related to the case study.
You are working from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. as an RN in the emergency department of a large metropolitan hospital. At 2:00 a.m., a 26-year-old Middle Eastern** woman is admitted by ambulance with multiple head, arm, and leg lacerations as well as bruises in various stages of healing. She was found in the apartment she shares with her 28-year-old Middle Eastern** boyfriend and her 3 children. After police were called to the scene based on a neighbor’s report of yelling, screaming, and excessive noise next door, police have the boyfriend in custody and report that he was drunk and resisted arrest.
Your patient is alert and oriented x3 (refers to the person, place, and time orientation) and her vital signs are stable. She complains of (c/o) a “really bad headache” and when asked what happened she looks down and states, “I fell while getting out of the bathtub.” She repeatedly asks about her children—“Where are my kids? Are they ok?” Your patient also says, “Where is my boyfriend? I need to see him. Is he alright? I don’t want him to be mad at me.” X-rays reveal no current fractures but there is an evidence of multiple healed fractures. You notice that the patient has vaginal bleeding and red handprints on both thighs. You suspect sexual as well as physical abuse.
**or choose an ethnicity of special interest to you
Answer the following questions related to the case study:
- What do you understand about the chosen culture that may relate to this situation? What additional information concerning the patient and family’s culture must be assessed?
- Describe essential therapeutic communication strategies to use in this situation.
- How do you address the questions your patient is asking about her children and her boyfriend?
- What additional assessment data needs to be collected?
- What are your legal responsibilities in this situation?
- How will you respond if the patient refuses to admit that she is a victim of intimate partner violence (IPV)?
- What referrals should be made if the patient admits she is a victim of IPV? What actions will you take if she refuses to admit to IPV?
- Identify the functions of a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) including interprofessional collaboration.
The final submission should be a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation of 15–20 slides. You should utilize a minimum of three classmate-reviewed scholarly references to support the case study analysis. References should be no more than five years old. The PPT must be clear, concise, logical, and organized; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.