For the Assignment, you will synthesize your understanding of the theories, best practices, and current trends in psychology to create a case. Begin by deciding on the type of job that interests you within your concentration. Imagine that you are a professional and create a hypothetical client whom you may encounter. Please note that the client does not always need to be an individual, but may be an agency, organization, or institution.
EXAMPLE: Child Development: An elementary school student who is dealing with the loss of her pet.
Use the paper structure below to organize the facts and recommendations for your hypothetical client.
- Client demographics: For individual clients, you should include the client’s name, age, marital status, occupation, and relevant family information (such as children or involved siblings or parents). If your client is an agency or organization, describe the type of institution and information on the purpose and employees or clients (for example: A business that specializes in advertising and employs 40 individuals; a high school for children with learning disabilities.) This should be 2–3 paragraphs.
- Presenting problem: What is the reason for the client receiving your services? Be specific about the problem, but do not add many extra details by “telling the client’s story.” This should be a 2–3 paragraph description about the problem as the client perceives it.
- Goals: What are the client’s main intervention/treatment goals? Two or three goals should be provided, and these should be specific and measurable. When writing goals, remember that these should describe the outcome the client wants to achieve. (1–2 pages)
- Relevant theoretical constructs: Which theory is relevant to your client’s case? Describe the relevant points of the theory and if applicable, which stage(s) are present. (1–2 pages) For example, Erikson’s Psychosocial Theory may be relevant to work with a client who is struggling to develop a sense of self amid peer pressure, particularly the stage of Identity versus Role Confusion. You would clearly describe the main points of the theory and relevant stage(s). Freud’s Psychoanalytic Theory may apply to a client using defense mechanisms when dealing with addiction issues. You would give a general description of the theory and then discuss the relevant defense mechanisms.
- Intervention methods: Synthesize the theoretical model you chose above to explain the intervention methods you will utilize to help you client meet the goals. Remember that interventions should be based on documented evidence in your concentration, meaning that you should support your ideas with academic materials to show how they are appropriate. For example, what intervention strategies could be used to help the child dealing with Identify versus Role Confusion? (1–2 pages)
- Cultural considerations: What cultural issues will you need to consider when working with your client? Culture can refer to age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, and socioeconomic status. (1 page)
- Use of technology: Explain how you could use contemporary technology in your work with this client. For example, you could consider how technology is used to:
- store and organize records