The purpose of this assignment is to familiarize yourself with Post-Colonial literary criticism and apply some of its tools in analyzing a short story.
- Review Post-Colonial literary theory:
- Read this post by Amardeep Singh on the Post-Colonial concepts of mimicry and hybridity:
- Answer these questions regarding “City Lovers”:
- Who is/are the oppressed? Who is/are the oppressors?
- What are the cultural practices of the oppressed and the oppressor?
- How do the cultures intersect?
- Who is exerting power over whom? How? In what ways?
- Think about how factors of oppression or hybridization or mimicry affect the two main characters. These effects might be caused by political, social, economic, or cultural oppression.
- Post a three-paragraph response to the discussion board by clicking on the title of this activity or through the Discussion Board main menu on the left.
- In the first paragraph, identify the two characters and the conflict you will analyze.
- In the second, analyze factors of oppression that seem to be motivating these characters, especially in ways that put them in conflict with each other or their environment.
- In the third, explain how these factors and this conflict contribute to meanings of the story.
- Use direct quotations and paraphrases (with in-text citations) to support your claims.