Being able to closely read a text, summarize, and respond to key
issues is a key skill that will help you effectively cull resources for
the information you need as you move into your major program of study.
Learning to read closely and take careful notes will make your research
process smoother and more organized.
For this discussion, you are going to conduct a close reading of a
source and use this reading to pre-write in preparation for your summary
Part I: Initial Post
Go to the library tab in Canvas and follow these steps:
- Access the ENG102 Library Course Guide.
- Once you are on the library course guide, scroll down to find the
theme you are choosing to explore in this class. Themes include the
- Closing the Gap Between College and Career
- Closing the Gap Between Military Service and Civilian Career
- Science Writing and the Public (Secular Science)
- Enterprising America and the World
- Select a guide and a database. Search key terms for your topic of
interest. Be sure to record these terms as you will report the terms
used in this discussion.
- Choose one of the articles to read for this discussion.
Closely read and annotate the article you choose.
- What information seems most significant? Why?
- What is the author’s claim or thesis?
- What details are important?
- Do any words or phrases stand out? Why?
- What do you still want to know?
- What questions do you have as you read?
This is a small-group discussion forum. Your assigned group is based
on the theme you chose from the library course guide. You will stay in
these groups for the discussion boards throughout the course.
Post your initial response to that group. In your discussion
response, write a short summary (5-7 sentences) of the most important
points of information in the article. Then, write a short response (5-7
sentences) to the article, discussing the significance of those main
points. Remember that a summary should be comprised of only your own
words. Create a References entry, formatted in APA Style, for the
article you chose. Conclude your post with any questions you have about
searching the databases or choosing articles and note the key terms you
used in your database search.
Part 2: Responses to Peers (Peer Review)
Respond to at least two peers with minimum of 100 words each per
response, offering specific feedback about the ideas they posted. Be
sure to comment on the quality of sources.
A substantive post will do at least ONE of the following:
- Ask an interesting, thoughtful question pertaining to the topic.
- Answer a question (in detail) posted by another student or the instructor.
- Provide extensive additional information on the topic.
- Explain, define, or analyze the topic in detail.
- Share an applicable personal experience.
- Provide an outside source (for example, a website) that applies to
the topic, along with additional information about the topic or the
source (please cite properly in APA.)
- Make an argument concerning the topic.
I have chosen: Enterprising America and the World
My key term I searched was: Project Manager Carers
The article is attached: