Short Answer Assignment
Answer the following four questions using 200 to 250 words for each response (for a total of 800 words). You must use course material to support your work and earn the most points. You will score little to no points for not using course material. Each question is worth one point and there is additional scoring for proper grammar and citations for a total of five points. The combined length of the entire exam can be no more than two pages.
- Describe one of the following functions of language from Bevan and Sole (2014, Section 4.1):
- Serve as an abstraction of reality
- Sustain and transmit culture
- Express imagination and creativity
- Express confirming and disconfirming messages
Then, share an example that illustrates how this function is demonstrated in a hypothetical communication exchange and explain its significance.
- Describe one of the following functions of nonverbal communication from Bevan and Sole (Section 4.2).
- Managing your impressions and identities
- Managing and interpreting your relationships
- Regulating the flow of interactions
- Engaging in and detecting messages of emotion, influence, and deception
- Using Bevan and Sole (2014), explain how biased language impacts attitudes, behaviors, and perception. Be sure to spend some time on each element and explain the significance of biased language overall.
- Watch at least the first 10 minutes of the following video titled Digital Communication Skills: Dos and Don’ts. Based on this and Bevan and Sole, what are two key points we need to be aware of in relation to computer mediated communication. How can we use this information to become better communicators?
Then, share an example that illustrates how this function is demonstrated in a hypothetical communication exchange.
Please use the Short Answer Assignment template to complete this assignment.
The Short Answer assignment
- Must be no more than two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of the assignment.
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use and cite the course text and the assigned video.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.