For this assignment, you will provide a long answer essay response to each of the questions below. For each question, you are encouraged to use the peer-reviewed resources provided throughout the units to support your responses. Please do not copy and paste the whole question into the document. Rather, provide the question number (1-4) and a brief heading that correlates with each section of the grading rubric. (Ex. 1. Motivating Operations and Differential Reinforcement)
- Discuss the differences between establishing and abolishing operations, and, with an example for support, explain why and how you might manipulate these Motivating Operations as part of a planned behavior change. Next discuss the differences between rule governed and contingency shaped behaviors, with one example to support each concept. Finally, define and describe the differences between the following processes: Positive Reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, Positive Punishment, Negative punishment and extinction. Be sure to identify the expected behavioral outcome for each process and provide one brief example to illustrate each.
- First, define stimulus and stimulus class and provide an example for each concept. . Next, define the concept of stimulus control and how stimulus control is established, explaining the differences between generalization and discrimination of stimuli.
- Review Jasmine’s Case Example (link below) and explain how you would use response and stimulus prompt fading to transfer stimulus control to a more relevant stimulus, including the application of differential reinforcement, as part of a maintenance plan for a target behavior.
- First, discuss the basic concept of Verbal Behavior as an operant paradigm. Next, discuss each of the six elementary verbal operants, identifying them according to their properties of point-to-point correspondence, formal similarity, and appropriate reinforcement according to each operant’s specific function. Be sure to identify which verbal operants do or do not demonstrate the properties of point to point correspondence and formal similarity. Finally, provide a unique example of each verbal operant and how each is applied to the development of verbal behavior.
- Discuss the concept of Derived Stimulus Relations as it applies to the development of verbal behavior and cognition. Explain the similarities and differences of how derived stimulus relations and verbal behavior contribute to the development of an individual’s verbal behavior and cognition. Finally, identify the three parts of stimulus equivalence, and explain how each part applies to the development of derived stimulus relations in verbal behavior.