1. Print, read and annotate the following pair of articles posted in Unit and General Resources:
Assigned Articles for Opposing Viewpoints Assignment
Students Should Have the Right to Carry Guns on College Campuses
David Burnett (2012)
Students Should Not Be Allowed to Carry Guns on College Campuses
Darby Dickerson (2012)
2. Write a detailed three paragraph response. Use details from these two assigned articles by Burnett and Dickerson to support your argument.
- What is each author’s central argument?
- Identify at least three main supporting details each author uses to back up the main argument.
- Whose position do you agree with more, any why? Be specific in your response.
3. Make sure all references and quotation are clearly cited, using the parenthetical form of citations.
4. Also include a works cited. (Review MLA format.)
5. Post your paragraphs to the Opposing Viewpoints full class forum.
This activity provides practice in summarizing the central argument and supporting details for opposing arguments, integrating sources into your writing, and citing your sources.
I will grade your writing on your ability to identify and summarize each author’s argument, develop main supporting details, and use accurate MLA citations.