Read about Ethos, Pathos, Logos, and Kairos from our course book Thank You for Arguing (pages 374-384), and consider the PowerPoint Introduction to Rhetoric from our course web (under PowerPoint section)
Remember that these are appeals of persuasion; writers use these appeals strategically to get their readers’ attention to their persuasive claim (argument).
Read the article below and answer the questions:
- What is the main idea (the purpose) of this article?
- Who is the target-reader ? How do you know?
- When is this article written/publishes? Does timing here play an important role ?(Kairos)
- How is the author establishing her credibility ? (Ethos)
- How and what kind of emotions is the author evoking in her target-readers? (Pathos)
- Find a part in the article that can be referred to the use of logos as a means of persuasion. Explain why. (Logos)
Briefly answer to these questions (1-4 sentence each question? Please be brief and to the point!
Type your answers and bring to class