For the first part,you will write a 3-paragraph summary-response, based on one of the chapters we’ve read so far in Things that Make White People Uncomfortable.
This assignment is informal,meaning I will not be picky about grammar or sentence structure. Instead,I will be looking for the quality of your ideas and your critical and creative engagement with the text. Use this time to practice writing without fear. Try out some of the rhetorical moves (i.e. the templates)provided in They Say, I Say. Notice what the templates do to your writing and how they help move your thinking along. Try out new ideas,or ask questions without feeling like you have to arrive at a point or thesis. Simply use writing to explore your thinking here!
PARAGRAPH 1: Using the writing guidance in chapter 1 and 2 of They Say, I Say (“They Say” and “Her point Is”),write a fully developed summary paragraph of ONE of the chapters in Things That Make White People Uncomfortable (you choose,but please make sure you read them all!). Feel free to practice using the templates they provide for you in the book,or create your own.
PARAGRAPH 2 & 3: Then,write a two paragraph response to the text. Write about how the text moved your thinking along. Did the text challenge your thoughts? Change your thinking? Confirm what you already know? Consider using one of more of the following templates to explore your thoughts in these two paragraphs:
- This text moved my thinking on [this issue]because _____.
- This text confused/challenged me about _____,because ______.
- This text helped me more deeply understand _____,because ___.
- This text opened my mind to ______,because _______.
- This text confirmed my thinking on [this issue]because ________.
In your response,I’d like you to quote from Bennett’s book and practice using the guidance in “The Art of Quoting” to do so.
The second part of this assignment. you will take a trip down the “rabbit hole” by researching your inquiries while reading Things That Make White People Uncomfortable. What questions did you pose while reading the first few chapters of Bennett’s book? Look over your annotations for where you did something like this (?). What do you want to know more about? Dive into the world wide web and let your original research focus evolve as you learn new information. After researching for 30 minutes,record your “field notes” in this discussion post.
- QUESTION/S: What was your original research question/s or topic/s?
- DISCOVERY: What were you hoping to find? What did you find (summarize your research and include links,author name,title,etc.)? You should find at least TWO sources during your rabbit hole research journey. Keep in mind that sources can be written or visual (i.e. video),but should be credible (not wikipedia,avoid what might be fake news).
- REFLECTION: Did your research take you on an unexpected journey? Explain. What new questions do you have as a result of your research? How are you now “re-seeing” Bennett’s arguments?
Please follow the instructions to do the writing. Make sure you have read at least one chapter of the book and write about it.
For part two,you have to list two sources for the research part. Part 1 and 2 both required 1 page writing. Please write it separately.