Evidence-based practice begins with identifying a clinical problem. All of us have seen things in our workplaces that we think should be done differently. Gathering evidence for this potential solution, though, requires creating a PICO question to narrow the search and help you find relevant articles that support your solution.
The assignments in this course will help you go through this process to arrive at a solution to a selected problem and to present this entire process in the Unit 7 assignment.
For this assignment, you will select a topic and PICO question from the list below. This will be the problem and solution you will research throughout the rest of the assignments.
- For novice nurses, does a nurse mentorship program increase nurse retention compared with no mentorship?
- For the pre-surgical patient, does the addition of music therapy to the current standard of care decrease anxiety compared with no intervention?
- In the acute care setting, does the implementation of a nurse-led rounding program compared to no rounding program decrease patient falls?
- Write your PICO question, identify key search terms for each element and frame it in table format as presented here and in the article attached below in the resources section.
- Search the literature using the keywords and find 3 articles that address the problem which is the focus of your PICO question. For instance, in question #1, the problem is nurse-retention.
Find articles that address the PROBLEM ONLY, not the solution. You are finding evidence that this is a problem. Search techniques are discussed in Unit 2. Also, the Library tab has tutorials about the search engines. Finally, use the article in the resources below referenced previously as a guide.
- For this paper, identify the problem (NOT the solution!) and address the following:
- Scope of the problem (Who has the problem and how widespread is the problem?)
- Significance of the problem (costs, safety, outcomes?)
- Significance of the problem to nursing: How is the problem significant to nursing? How does the problem negatively affect nursing practice?
Support your ideas with the articles you found. These articles should be less than five (5) years old. They should not be from the Web, but from the library databases. Use narrative format, except for your PICO table as shown above.
- Include an APA cover page, a reference page, and in-text citations.
- 3 professional references are required.
- These articles must be from peer-reviewed professional journals.
- Use an opening and closing paragraph. This paper should be 250-300 words.