- Write an essay in which you illustrate that a specific group is stereotyped in our society.
- Begin your essay with a discussion of the history of the stereotype surrounding this group or an anecdote about a specific experience you had with this stereotype.
- End your introduction with a thesis that asserts the stereotype either is alive and well.
- Use the body of your essay to provide evidence of your assertion. Your body of evidence should include at least three areas of differing types of evidence. For example,
- You might have one area that discusses how the stereotype lives in commercials on television.
- You might have another area that provides evidence that the stereotype is frequently portrayed in television shows and movies.
- Then you might have a body of evidence that illustrates the stereotype is applied in your own life or in the life of people you know, whether it be in the work environment, at school, in social settings, or elsewhere.
- In your conclusion, identify what you think are the implications of this continued stereotype. What might be the goal of its persistence in our culture? How do such stereotypes affect us? What can be done to counter such ideas of gender/race/class/age in the real world?
You will be using outside sources. No more than 10% of your work should be from outside sources. Please use the MLA worksheet distributed and reviewed in class to help you practice your use of outside sources.