After reading the lecture and chapter 13, view the videos linked in the Web Site Adventure for this session. To help in understanding the artists and their works, I have also included links to some of the artists’ websites and some interviews or documentaries concerning their works.
1.) New link for Bill Viola – Cameras are Keepers of the Soul – interview
2.) New link for Peter Campus – Three Transitions
3.) New link for Jym Davis – White Space
4.) Nam June Paik …Installation at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.
- Dadaikseon (The More the Better), installation at the Guggenheim Museum in New York
5.) Video Flag Z at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (this is the one in your text)
- Venus in the Hans Meyer Gallery in Cologne, Germany (includes interview with the gallery owner)
The following are for information only – not for use in the assignment:
- Restoration of a Nam June Paik work – A major work by video artist Nam June Paik is restored in Trenton, NJ.
- Processing the Signal, Part 2 – part of a documentary in which Paik is interviewed and some of his early works are displayed
After viewing the videos, choose two of your favorites. Number (1, 2, 3, 4 and then repeat 1, 2, 3, 4) and answer the following four discussion questions for EACH one of your TWO video choices:
Title of the video piece / Name of the artist-filmmaker
- Discuss why you chose this piece.
- List five words that describe this piece or that come to mind when you view this piece.
- How did the work cause you to perceive anything differently than you may have before? Discuss how it presented a new perspective.
Note: You will answer the four questions above on EACH of your two different video selections.