This assignment is meant to completed while reading the Introduction Chapter in our textbook, Excursions in World Music. Once you have completed the Study Guide then answer the quistions
Your Study guide answers should be complete and correct (20 pts) and be submitted on time (5 pts). There are 25 points possible for this assignment.
Study Guide: Introduction
1. How is each chapter of our textbook structured?
2. The idea that music is principally to be _________________ is a notion characteristic of
3. What is the Marriage of Figaro? ___________________________________________________
List three things about this piece of music that tells us something about the people of that time and place.
4. What does the fact that we consider Mozart a “deity among composers” tell us about today’s American society?
5. What is meant by a “relativistic view” of music?
6. What is an example of a “bimusical” community?
7. We will be using Nettl’s “Three-Part Model” extensively in this course. What are the three parts of this model?
8. Think of a kind of music and/or music event you know, try to describe how the three-part model can be applied:
9. List the five “universals” of music:
10. What does this statement mean? Music is universal, but not a universal language.
11. What kinds of things cause music to change?
12. Describe the four primary classes of instruments (and the recent fifth) in the system developed by Hornbostel and Sachs, and give an example of each:
13. “A society develops its music in accordance with the ________________ of its _______________.”
14. What is “fieldwork” and who does it?