PURPOSE: To develop your understanding of nonverbal communication in the media.
ASSIGNMENT: Locate one television media source that has been recorded on YouTube. This may include: Local or National news program, Presidential debates, or live speech coverage (i.e., Kym Worthy’s press release regarding Kilpatrick’s charges). Watch this media source and answer the following questions:
- Describe the media source you observed. (i.e., what channel, who was involved, time of day, etc.) You must include the link to the video you watched.
- What nonverbal communication/behavior was the most salient to you? In other words, what stood out to you immediately?
- Why did this particular behavior capture your attention?
- Did this particular behavior create a positive or negative effect for you?
- Describe the following: (remember that describe means to go into detail)
- Physical appearance
- Gestures and movements used
- Facial behavior
- Eye behavior
- Vocal behavior
- For each of the previous nonverbal behaviors, explain why you believe this captured your attention (i.e., what previous experiences have you had that may have caused your bias) and state whether or not this was a positive or negative nonverbal behavior for you.
- Explain how changing the nonverbal behavior in at least two of the categories would (or could) have changed your overall opinion (or feeling) regarding the message.
*You must have fully and completely addressed the above questions and gone in depth regarding your personal insight and observations. Three full sentences minimum for each item above.*