You are preparing to work as a nurse in the neurology unit. The preceptor informs you to be prepared to discuss the following topics as they are commonly seen on the unit. In order to prepare, choose one of the following topics of interest as your initial discussion posting. Use this course’s resources and one evidenced-based article to explore the topic of your choice.
- How do you assess a client when the nurse suspects onset of CVA?
- Provide discharge information for a client with mild TBI.
- Discuss surgical management of brain tumors.
- Describe postoperative complications of a craniotomy.
When responding to the initial posting, provide an evidence-based article to support your response. Respond to two other topics different than your initial topic with a reference.
Due dates for your initial post (4/13/2023, 11:59 pm) and two response posts by April 15, 11:59 pm)
SON Discussion Rubric
Levels of Achievement
Discussion Rubric Criteria (Points)
- Initial Posting Comprehension – Points 12
- Initial post does not include explanations with examples or supporting evidence. Failure to submit initial posting will result in zero points for this criteria. – Points 9
- Initial post includes brief explanation with limited or unclear examples and limited supporting evidence. – Points 10
- Initial post includes clear explanation with examples and supporting evidence. – Points 11
- Initial post includes comprehensive explanation with detailed examples and supporting evidence. Points 12
- Response Posting Reasoning – Points 12
- Response to peers attempts to contribute to the discussion but lacks suggestions and/or supporting evidence. Failure to submit response postings will result in zero points for this criteria. – Points 9
- Response to peers provides minimal contributions and suggestions with limited or no supporting evidence. – Points 10
- Response to peers contributes to the discussion with suggestions and supporting evidence. – Points 11
- Response to peers offers substantial contributions and detailed suggestions with supporting evidence. – Points 12
- Spelling and Grammar – Points 3
- Spelling and grammar contain substantial errors that makes sentences and/or paragraphs incoherent. – Point 0
- Spelling and grammar errors occur but are inconsistent. Paragraphs and sentences are coherent but may exhibit spelling errors, run-on’s or fragments, and/or improper verb tense usage. – Point 1
- Displays proper grammar application and writing contains minimal to no spelling errors. May contain rare improper uses of words (ex., their vs. there), a misplaced modifier, or a run-on sentence, but does not detract from the overall understanding of the sentence and/or paragraph. – Points 2
- Demonstrates an exemplary application of spelling and grammar. – Points 3
- APA Citation – Points 3
- Citations do not follow APA Style. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries are not cited, or there is no attempt to cite them using APA style. – Point 0
- Errors in APA citations are noticeable and may detract from the ability to locate the original source (for example, no title provided, year of publication is missing, no punctuation). – Point 1
- Errors in APA citations are less noticeable and do not detract from the ability to locate the original source (for example, a missing or misused comma or period, missing parentheses, author name not properly abbreviated, indentation is misaligned). – Points 2
- APA citations are free of style and formatting errors. – Points 3
Total Points Possible : 30