For this assignment, pretend that your favourite character has one of the following social media accounts: Instagram, Match.com, Facebook or Twitter. Next, imagine what their personal feed page (a listing of posts) might look based on their character traits and beliefs.
- Pick your favourite character from the play A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Pick a social media account: Instagram, Match.com, Facebook or Twitter.
- Identify at least two people they follow.
- Identify at least two groups to which they would belong.
- Create a post made by your favourite character. This post will be an expression made by the character at some pivotal moment in the play where the character comes to some realization about themselves or the world around them. When making the post, consider the character’s traits and traits as seen in the play. Make references to action or dialogue in the play to show the character’s perspective. Your post may include an optional picture.
- Provide comments from other characters in the play to your favourite character’s post. As with your favourite character, be sure to connect the replies to the character based on their traits and beliefs as seen in the play.
Note that your assignment can be put in a visual layout but does not need to be. A template is provided below that you can use if you wish.
Sample Character’s Social Media Personal Feed:
The character Mitch has a Facebook account. He has recently unfriended Blanche and posted the following on his home feed.
GroupsMitchFriendsSingle Men’s Group
New Orleans Poker ClubWhy are people such liars? They pretend to love you only to get something out of you. Why can’t they want to do these things simply out of love? I am so stupid to believe everything that people tell me. I was just so lonely, that I turned a blind eye. But now, I know the truth because a friend cared about me… and I will stand by my morals, even if it means I have to be alone. Being alone is better than being with someone like her. I was duped and taken advantage of and I feel ashamed. If you have ever been taken advantage of like this, like this post and share your experience.
Steve Stanley Kowalski
I told you she was no good and could not be trusted. I did. Blanche Dubois
It’s all lies. Oh, Mitch. I didn’t mean to. It was beyond my control. It’s all lies.
Mitch felt lied to by Blanche. She, also lonely, made advances towards Mitch and made him feel like she was in love with him. Even though these may have been real feelings, Blanche failed to tell Mitch her whole background. When Mitch found out from Stanley, he was embarrassed and ashamed and no longer wanted anything to do with Blanche.