You are a nurse caring for children in a rural clinic. This clinic serves most of the area’s population and provides comprehensive pediatric healthcare. This includes things such as: primary and urgent care needs, vaccinations, and care for all ages of children.
Kristen has Sawyer’s 4-year-old well child visit schedule next week in the clinic, but today she brings him in for an acute arm injury. Sawyer is tearful and wants to be held by mom. He has a bloody washcloth in place acting as a bandage to his left forearm.
“Sawyer was playing outside and fell. He gashed his arm open and it was bleeding pretty bad. I tried to stop the bleeding and brought him straight here!”
Pre-term birth at 35.6 weeks
No pertinent medical history
Weight: 43 lbs.
Height: 42 inches
Due for routine check-up
5 cm laceration noted to LFA
Visible dirt in wound
Bleeding controlled well at this time with bandage in place
Wound requires wound care and repair
- Based on the chief complaint and provided information what is the priority nursing interventions for Sawyer?
- Choose a pediatric pain scale from your reading and explain how you would utilize this scale to assess Sawyer’s pain. What type of pain management would be likely used in this situation?
- Describe what distraction techniques could be utilized during the procedure? How could a child life specialist be of assistance if available?
- Based on Sawyer’s age and developmental level, how would you approach learning with him? Give 2-3 examples of education you would give him.
- Based on Sawyer’s age, what vaccines should you anticipate giving?
- Add a question: After you have analyzed the content from the discussion board, please add a question to the end of your initial post regarding the reading material for the week.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.