Wyndham International: Fostering High-Touch with High Tech
By Gabriele Piccoli and Lynda Applegate
Harvard Business School
Case g-803-092 2/11/03
The Case examines the growth of Wyndham International, its introduction of its Wyndham by Request program, and its use of technology to make this program successful and have the program create a competitive advantage.
Pillars of the Wyndham by Request program are:
1. A centralized IT infrastructure.
2. The use of dedicated property-level personnel, the Wyndham By Request managers
3. Design and develop Wyndham’s unique highly integrated organizational structure.
Submit a paper (2-3 pages) that addresses these questions:
1. What is the value of a brand in the lodging industry?
2. Does the “Wyndham by Request” initiative create competitive advantage? If so, how? Is the advantage it creates significant?3. What is your evaluation of the Wyndham by Request program? What would you do if you were put in charge of the program?4. Identify the main systems and personnel required to effectively use this program.
5. Critique the use of dedicated property-level personnel, the Wyndham By Request managers
6. Interpret and evaluate Wyndham’s unique highly integrated organizational structure.