For this assignment, you will explore the components of a cover letter, reflect on your most relevant skills, develop a cover letter, and then assess what action steps you can take to make your cover letter stronger.
- The Cover Letters resource contains step-by step instructions for creating a cover letter including formatting suggestions, tips regarding how to highlight your best skills and qualifications, and how to tailor your letter for specific jobs you wish to apply to.
Reflect: It is important that you have a compelling, well-written cover letter. To write an impactful cover letter, you need to address the following tasks before you begin composing it. Starting with these preparatory tasks will help provide a clear and concise message for the person reading your cover letter.
- Look over current openings on www.indeed.com and determine a position that interests you.
- Consider carefully what makes the position, organization, or company interesting to you.
- Think about skills or competencies that you currently possess that match the skills the employer is seeking in a candidate.
- You can find these skills by viewing the job description.
- These specific skills are the reason every cover letter should be unique for each job for which you apply.
Write: Develop or update a cover letter that is designed for a specific job posting within your selected occupation. Make sure to carefully complete the following:
- First, include the link to the job description you are interested in applying for in your cover letter.
- Next, using the format suggestions from both the webinar and cover letter sample, create a full paragraph that discusses why you are applying and the position you are seeking.
- Make sure to demonstrate some knowledge of the company you are interested in and their products/services.
- Finally, using the format suggestions from both the webinar and cover letter sample, create a full paragraph that communicates the three matching skills and/or competencies you would like to highlight for the employer.
- Make sure these competencies match the position you are interested in applying for.