1) This week you learned about the three core pricing strategies: penetration, neutral, and skim. Now we’re going to examine those pricing strategies in action. Hope you’re hungry, because you’re going to be looking at a lot of pizza.
In this interactivity, you’re going to briefly recap the three pricing strategies, use them to classify the major pizza chains based on exploring the online ordering process and then answer a few related questions. So let’s dig in!
- Re-familiarize yourself with the three main pricing strategies
- Review section 5.2 in the text as needed.
- Research actual pizza pricing
- Visit each site, identify your location and simulate an order.
- Price out a medium cheese or pepperoni pizza.
- Proceed to payment stage, observing the selling process.
- Record your pizza choice and final price (minus tax).
- Execute your purchase as you see fit.
- Create a forum post that includes the following:
- A brief description of the three pricing strategies (from least to most expensive).
- Your research driven price strategy classifications of the five brands.
- For any pricing strategy where you have multiple brands, rank them from least to most expensive.
- Include the kind of pizza you priced out, your recorded prices and any other pertinent notes.
- Your classifications may differ from others. That’s okay.
- Your answers to the following questions:
- Did your perception of these chains’ pricing strategies change based on this exercise? If so, how?
- Based on this exercise, identify three factors that complicate price comparisons.
- For you, which of these chains represents the greatest value and why? Explain how each of the Ps contributes to your answer.
|Retail pizza chain #1|
|Retail pizza chain #2|
|Retail pizza chain #3|
|Retail pizza chain #4|
|Retail pizza chain #5|
2) One Message, Many Media: Integrated Marketing Campaigns
In this interactivity, to examine integrated marketing in action, you’re going to tell the story of a particular campaign from your internship brand across multiple media. We want to know what unifies the campaign and how the unique nature of each medium is being utilized (or underutilized if you feel so). And we want to hear if you think the campaign is effective or not and why then answer a few related questions. So let’s dig in!
1. Identify a significant marketing campaign from your internship brand.
- Find one that was supported across multiple media (e.g, TV, print, website, banner ads, etc.).
- How to identify and research major marketing campaigns?
2. Find campaign executions for at least three different media
3. Create a new post containing the following elements:
- Title and subtitle
- Headings for the three media you’ve found
- For each medium, a brief description of how it is being used, focusing on what it can do that other media cannot.
- A final paragraph summarizing what unifies the campaign and whether or not you think it’s effective and why.