Unit 1 And 2 Discussion
We're the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click either of the buttons below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper
Order a Different Paper
Tom is driving his brand-new sports car to work. He is very proud of his car because it took a long time to save for his down payment. While stopped at a four-way intersection, he was waiting to proceed into the intersection when another vehicle cut him off.
This made him slam on his breaks, and he waited for the other person to go through the intersection. This behavior set off his anger, and he became irate and started yelling at the other driver. This was an automatic reaction on his part. The cognitive restructuring theory could teach him how to handle his excessive anger.
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the 4 steps in cognitive restructuring.
- Address the following in 750–1,000 words:
- What is the purpose of the cognitive restructuring theory? Explain.
- How would the cognitive restructuring theory help Tom from the scenario above in handling his excessive anger? Explain.
- What are the steps that he should take to control his anger? Explain and be specific.
- Describe a situation that you were in where the cognitive restructuring theory could help.
- Explain the situation using the 4 steps in cognitive restructuring.
- If left unchecked, how could frequent outbursts of excessive anger eventually result in serious criminal or socially unacceptable behavior? Explain.
- Use at least 3 scholarly sources to fully support your arguments.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
A general strain theory was proposed by Robert Agnew. In this theory, he proposed that strain did not arise when people had a failure to meet the American Dream, but that everyone, in every social class, had frustrations in his or her daily life.
Most strain theorists listed failure to achieve goals as a major strain precipitator. Agnew had identified two additional sources of strain: presentation of noxious stimuli and removal of positively valued stimuli. Examples of presentation of noxious stimuli would be an abusive parent, an overly critical instructor, and an overly demanding employer. Examples of the removal of positively valued stimuli would be losing a job, getting a divorce, and filing for bankruptcy.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
- Create a scenario that would fall under the strain theory.
- In the scenario, provide an explanation of each of the following:
- The loss of the major goal
- The presentation of the noxious stimuli
- The removal of the positively valued stimuli
- When you have these 3 inputs of strain in your scenario, address the following:
- How would the person in the scenario react with criminal behavior or behavior that would not be acceptable to society? Explain.
- How could cognitive restructuring be used to prevent the person from partaking in criminal behavior? Explain.
You are the emergency manager in a city with a population of 250,000 in the northeastern United States. The fire chief has asked you to draft a brief research paper for the new fire service recruits explaining critical infrastructure. He wants you to focus specifically on the key assets that the fire service recruits may deal with during their fire service careers.
Prepare a research paper of 750–1,000 words for your presentation that focuses on those critical infrastructure sectors and key assets that are of direct concern to the fire service. Of the assets you highlighted, which 3 assets are fire service personnel most likely to encounter during the course of their career? Explain.
- Prepare a research paper of 750–1,000 words that addresses the following:
- Which of the 16 critical infrastructure and key resource (CIKR) sectors are of the most concern to the fire service?
- For each of the sectors of most concern to the fire service, identify 3 associated assets, and describe each asset.
- Out of all the assets identified, which 3 are fire service personnel most likely to encounter during the course of their career? Explain.